You Sent Me a Poem

You sent me a poem
Out of nowhere
Unexpectedly
You never had before
Your words were a song my heart sang in longing
For the one I wanted
so desperately
I had to hide it from myself.
I dreamt it was for me;
I knew it wasn't.

You share with me
The parts of you
That I have too,
And are so very lonely,
And afraid.
You share them with such brilliance
That I'm afraid to play along;
And I yearn, and curse my fear
That keeps me starving,
In your company.

You are here and there with me
Back and forth with me
As the friend I need,
So deeply appreciate,
So want to cling to:
And you are so strong when I'm weak;
And you yell at me
In your soft way
When you want what's best for me.

I forget your image
All I remember is the idea
That you're the most beautiful woman I've ever seen
And then a picture
At this distance between us
Rekindles your visage
And I tremble and quake inside
Terrified by your stunning eyes, alight with intelligence and mischief,
Scared to lose what I don't even have

Comments